Monday, June 30, 2008

pretty in pink and the call of the wild

Something quilty-I got the quilting done on my little 9 patch quilt. This photo doesn't show the color very well but it's the best picture of the quilting. I really like hand quilting these little tops-it doesn't take more than a day or two so it provides a lot more instant gratification than...oh...say that queen sized top that I've been hand quilting for the last 500 years.

I'm hoping to get it bound tomorrow-I'm going to have to be a little creative with the binding-I used scraps for this and I don't think there's enough of the border fabric left for the binding so I'll have to play around a little. Kathi did this really cool stripey binding on her framed 4 patch quilt-she may be my binding muse for the day.

On a non quilty note meet out little (hopefully temporary!) visitor.

Today DH and DD were outside with the cats when Sorry (cat 1) comes in the house with something in her mouth. Dh hollers at me to come see what it is. It was chirping and shrieking and at first I thought it was one of the little ground squirrels that frequent our patio. I was completely freaked because I was terrified she was going to drop this ground squirrel and it would be loose in our house. I finally get Sorry to very reluctantly release her prize and I realize it's a bird.

The bird goes scooting out the door in a desperate bid for freedom only to be pounced on by Tommy (cat 2). Normally Tommy shows complete disdain for anything Sorry does but this time she decided to be a team player...fine-whatever. I get the bird away from her only to discover that one wing is completely ajar and it can't fly.

So we get it a little box with some batting (hey-maybe this is a quilty post after all) and let it rest for awhile thinking maybe once it has a chance to relax it will be ok. After an hour it's wing is looking a little better but it's still not flying. Our neighbor who has some experience with birds gives it a good look over and says the wing isn't broken but might be sprained and little birdy is going to have to rest for a couple days. She also sexes the bird for us so we now know our guest is a girl.

So Itty Bitty as we've been calling her is hanging out in her pimped out shoe box with food and water, soft batting, and some leaves and will be spending a quiet night in our bathroom-far away from the cats I assure you! Hopefully in the next couple days the wing will be back to good and she'll be ready to fly back to her family.

No comments: