Sunday, June 22, 2008

Land of the Littles

I was so good yesterday and worked on lots of things I needed to do-really yucky stuff like cleaning the kitchen and some fun stuff like cutting out pieces for the next round of the the birthday block swap. See my little tub of cut out blocks-I actually have patterns picked, fabrics selected, and even some of my fabric cut for about half of the blocks and I even made one this weekend-not because it was the first one due but because I just had to try out the pattern. You won't have to wait too long to see it-I think it's one of my August blocks.


This morning I got up and was really in the mood to make a little quilt so I dug out my tub of 2.5 inch squares and this is the result.

It's about 16x18 inches. Since my tub of 2.5 inch squares is overflowing it was nice to use up a few of them-although 42 squares doesn't make much of a dent. I just randomly picked out a bunch of squares I liked and then played with the layout until I found one I liked. It took awhile to find a border fabric-I finally picked this one-18 of the 42 squares had some green in it so I thought the green border tied it all together nicely.

I found a piece of muslin for backing and after a short hunt through my pile of leftover batting pieces I got it sandwiched and did a little hand quilting on it. It's just the right size for hand quilting in the summer-it's far too warm to do anything that actually covers my lap.

My little postage stamp top only took an hour to make-I made it while I was watching Diagnosis Murder. (Yes, I know, it's a show for old people and it's cheesy as all get out but I can't help it I love that show.)

Since I was still in the mood to make something else I dug out my brown and pink strips and put this together while I watched a 2 hour Matlock movie. See about note for Diagnosis Murder-all I can say is my grandpa watched me a lot when I was a kid and I have the TV viewing taste of an 80 year old man.

This one is about 15 inches square-the 9 patches and solid blocks are 3 inches finished.

I'm still brainstorming ideas for my quilts for the Miniature Booty Swap-I think I've found the pattern that I want to use but I'm not off the fence yet.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I love the little quilts.
I know what you mean about TV tastes. I was watched by my 80yr old aunt and now have a love of the old gangster movies.

love and hugs xxx

Sequana said...

You would love visiting my 92yo dad in FL.....*L*

Plus the ones you mentioned, he's watching Everybody Loves Raymond and laughing at every show like he's never seen it before. There is nothing wrong with his memory, either.

Maybe you should add Raymond to your list. Or the Golden Girls.

black bear cabin said...

Wow...wish i could be that productive during a movie. I turn into sloth mode when i finally pop in a movie (and then i usually fall asleep) :)
love the little postage stamp quilt...what fun!

Janet said...

Aren't miniatures fun to make? Thanks for sharing yours.
Janet